BRIEF HISTORY OF GHANA PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS ASSOCIATION
The Ghana Physician Assistants Association formerly known as the Ghana Medical Assistants Association has been in existence for over four (4) decades and had had many leaders.
Prior to 1996 Delegates’ congress in Koforidua at Eredec Hotel, Mr. Divine Kudjinu and Mr. Agyemfra, President and General Secretary respectively, and others of blessed memory steered the affairs of the Association.
The Delegates’ Conference held in 1996 at Koforidua led to the election of the following as executives:
- Mr. Agyemfra- President
- Mr. Ralph Dagoe- Vice President
- Mr. Tebbi- General Secretary
- Mr. Dorho- General Vice Secretary
- Mr. Isaac Lamptey- Public Relations Officer
- Mr. Oppong- Financial Secretary and
- Miss Korantema- Treasurer
The newly elected officers in 1996 had their own mistrusts for each other with the allegations of financial mismanagement by some officers.
This led to internal strives which affected the organization of Delegates’ Conference to elect new leaders until 2005 when there was a revolution which led to a Delegates’ Conference in 2005 at the Crystal Rose Hotel in Kumasi- Ashanti Region.
The said revolution led to the election of the following as National Officers in 2005:
- Mr. Ralph Dagoe- President,
- Mr. Alfred Imoro Azumah- Vice president
- Mr. Johnson Chiriga- General Secretary
- Mr. Osman Abdullai Norgah –General Vice Secretary
- Paulina Klutse- Treasurer (Late)
- Alhaji Musah- Financial Secretary (Late)
- Mr. Johnson Asante- PRO
In 2007 at Radach Hotel in Tamale, Northern Region, Mr. Ralph Dagoe stepped down on account of executive wrangling and Mr. Alfred Imoro Azumah was unanimously moved to be the President and Mr. Isaac Lamptey asked by unanimous acclamation to be the Vice President.
However, in 2008, the association could not hold an Annual General Conference because of financial constraints.
- In 2012 at the AGC in Eastern Region, Koforidua, a review committee made up of Mr. Johnson Chiriga, Mr. Osman A. Norgah, Mr. Ignatius Ayoonayele, Mr. Mantamia and Mr. Isaac Lamptey as the chairman were tasked to address the growing concerns expressed by many members for constitutional review to reflection current professional, social and economic development trends.
- In 2013, the AGC held in Volta Region, at Ho WAEC Hall, the present CONSTITUTION was adopted as the legal document of reference by the Association.
- Later during the course of the year, the National Treasurer (Paulina Klutse) passed on.
- At Bolgatanga in the Upper East Region in 2014, another AGC was held and it was also used to elect new national executive officers of the Association. The following were elected;
- Chief Alhaji Imoro Bandana II- President
- Alhaji Alhassan Zakaria- Vice President
- Alhaji Osman A. Norgah- Gen. Secretary
- Matthew A. Ayamba- Gen. Vice Sec.
- Miss Vida Vuoche- National Treasurer
- Peter Mintir Amadu- Nat. Financial Sec.
- Philip Quarshie- Nat. PRO
It was at this AGC that the Association was defrauded by a middleman contracted by the LOC to secure accommodation for members.
- At Wa in Upper West Region in 2016, portions of the constitution were amended to put age limits on officers who wants to vie for national positions and others.
- In 2018 at Aliu Mahama Sports Stadium, Tamale in the Northern Region, the current leadership of the association was elected. They are;
- Emmanuel Yaw Appiah- President
- Miss Rebecca Dede Bantey- Vice President
- Peter Eyram Kuenyefu- General Secretary
- Abdul Ganiyu Kantamah- Vice Gen. Sec
- Augustine Asford- Nat. Financial Sec
- Miss Balchisu Abukari- National Treasurer
- David Kojo Donkoh- National PRO